Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:50:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial port problems with 4.0

On 13 April 2000, Marcin Cieslak wrote:

: Most ISPs today don't use a traditinal login "terminal" login scheme,
: they instead allow ppp to put LCP packets on the wire and verify
: authentication using PAP or CHAP instead.
:
: I usually dial up manually, using "term" command and "ATDT" Hayes
: string and see if login prompt is really "login:" or perhaps
: "username:" or something else.

Using terminal mode with 4.0 on the box, I can connect to the ISP, it says
CONNECT 115200, then nothing.  When 3.4 was on the box, and with the
machine I'm on now (still 3.4 until I get this PPP thing figured out), I
get the old-fashioned login: prompt.  So it seems there's something about
4.0-RELEASE and ppp on this machine that's causing PPP to freeze up early
on so that the login prompt never arrives.  The racks do give up the
prompt.

I checked out the FAQ, and took its advice on recompiling ppp with a
couple of added options so I could run the debugger on it.  Doing a stack
trace when it was sitting waiting, I got this:

#0  0x281c1c50 in select () from /usr/lib/libc.so.4
#1  0x8068e71 in DoLoop (bundle=0x808a7e0) at main.c:534
#2  0x8068d83 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfbffbdc) at main.c:492
#3  0x804af59 in _start ()

What's going on in usr.sbin/ppp/main.c is beyond me, though.

Bill