Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 18:54:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de (Thomas Graichen)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "ld: -lstdc++: no match" with pgcc

> : Then I had a problem with no ".weak" directive in the assembler.  So I pulled
>
> the old story - you have to uncomment the part dealing with WEAK in
> config/i386/freebsd.h - i sent it to gcc-bugs - hope that it is in the next
> version (haven't heared any response about it)

> p.s.: config/i386/freebsd.h in the gcc distribution

Yes, this is the problem.  I tried the "#define SUPPORTS_WEAK 0"
recommended elsewhere and that didn't do the trick.  Thanks, Thomas.

This should be changed in the port.   The problem is subtle enough
that if you go with a ".weak" supporting assembler but not loader
you can compile lots of stuff before hitting the problem.

*** freebsd.h.b4	Mon Feb 12 18:40:53 1996
--- freebsd.h	Mon Feb 12 18:41:25 1996
***************
*** 122,130 ****
--- 122,134 ----

  /* This is how we tell the assembler that a symbol is weak.  */

+ #if 0
+ /* This requires support in both the assembler and the loader:
+  */
  #define ASM_WEAKEN_LABEL(FILE,NAME) \
    do { fputs ("\t.weak\t", FILE); assemble_name (FILE, NAME); \
         fputc ('\n', FILE); } while (0)
+ #endif

  /* The following macro defines the format used to output the second
     operand of the .type assembler directive.  Different svr4 assemblers

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936