Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:44:12 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   WARNING: need to do a 'config -r'

Something has changed in an odd sort of way since I did my last kernel install
(Apr 1) and today.

Normally, I do
 cvsup
 make buildworld
 make installworld
 mergemaster
 check my kernel config files against changes to LINT and/or GENERIC
 config -g Kernel
 cd compile/Kernel
 make depend all
 make install
 reboot.

This time, it all went without errors but the kernel generated would not boot.
It got loaded by the BTX loader, the kernel booting countdown went to zero,
then nothing - no message, no activity, no nothing. Reset switch the only way
out.  Fortunately, the old kernel.GENERIC would boot.  Phew!

I had to do a 'config -r -g Kernel' and rebuild the kernel from absolute
scratch before I could get a bootable kernel.  It seems something in the
kernel sources changed but in a way too subtle for make depend to discover...

Greg.