Date:      Sat, 08 May 2004 21:48:27 -0600
From:      Tim Pushor <timp@crossthread.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Scripted fdisk/slice/fs generation?

Hi all,

I do CPIO style image backups of my FreeBSD systems. In the event that I
need to restore one of these backups, I usually use the FreeBSD
installation media to fdisk and create filesystems, then mount the new
filesystems and restore the CPIO archive.

This system works great for me, but I would like to automate the
restoration process. I have worked a little with fdisk and disklabel
back in FreeBSD 2.x days (and trying early versions of OpenBSD) but
wouldn't really know where to start automating that process. ( I do
write code, but the thought of trying to use disklabel to read the
geometry of the disks, calculate sizes, cylinder boundaries, etc give me
a headache )

I would really like to specify minimum sizes of partitions and
filesystems, with one having all the excess (rather than having to count
cylinders).

I've done some searching on Google and havn't really come up with
anything conclusive.

Thanks!,
Tim

(Please CC me on the reply as I don't subscribe to this list)