Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2020 11:41:05 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        tkhemili78@outlook.com
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ssh command hang

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 12:31 PM Bejiita78 . <tkhemili78@gmail.com> wrote:

> has anyone ever noticed that locally a system may respond just fine, but
> running a command like port make install or top would cause the ssh session
> to hang indefinitely?

I have not experienced this, but some detail might help. Version of
FreeBSD, CPU (amd64, arm64, i386, etc.), base SSH or ports. If ports, build
config.
If you run "ssh -vvv" and "sshd -ddd", does that provide any clues? Have
you looked at interface stats on either end for errors and/or drops?
If it is reasonably repeatable, a BPF packet capture (probably just headers
as the payload will be encrypted) using tcpdump.

ssh is heavily used and this is the first report of this I have seen,
making it likely that this is a local issue such as a firewall or network
issue. I have had sessions up for days, often doing things like running top
or building large ports with no problems.

I do recall a time when my terminal emulator would occasionally freeze, but
I have not seen it for quite a while. I use mate-terminal. This was a
problem with the emulator, though, and also would lock up  local operation
as well as ssh sessions.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com