Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:32:01 +0930
From:      "Stavros Patiniotis" <sp@esc.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   authentication

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C146E3.71738080

Hello,

I am in the process of changing the way that several services on my =
network authenticate.  In particular, I want all services to by =
authenticated by way of my username and password system that I have =
implement using a database (mySQL). Basically, this means that POP, SMTP =
& FTP need to use this new password checking system.  I have radius =
using external perl scripts which queries the database to achieve =
authentication without issue.

Now I realise that PAM could be ideally suited to this.  What sort of =
load can PAM handle, in terms of auth and account type requests?  At an =
educated guess I have about 60 auth request per minute, but probably =
double this during peak periods.  I therfore need a solution that will =
scale from this, as its only going to get busier.

Where can I find information about PAM so I can adapt my perl script to =
be the method that the pam.conf file uses to authenticate a user. Am I =
reinveting the wheel? Any other suggestions?

(I realise perl probably isn't the answer for production, but I just =
want to test it!)

The software packages that I will use are Postfix, ProFtp, Cistron =
Radius, and Qpopper.  I currently have FreeBSD 4.1, but will be =
upgrading soon.

Thanks.

Stavros.

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C146E3.71738080

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I am in the process of changing the way that =
several=20
services on my network authenticate.&nbsp; In particular, I want all =
services to=20
by authenticated by way of my username and password system that I=20
have&nbsp;implement using a database (mySQL). Basically, this means that =
POP,=20
SMTP &amp;&nbsp;FTP need to use this new password checking system.&nbsp; =
I have=20
radius using external perl scripts which queries the database to achieve =

authentication without issue.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Now I realise that PAM&nbsp;could =
be&nbsp;ideally suited=20
to this.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=3DArial>What sort of load can PAM =
handle, in=20
terms of auth and account type requests?&nbsp; At an educated guess I =
have about=20
60 auth request per minute, but probably double this during peak =
periods.&nbsp;=20
I therfore need a solution that will scale from this, as its only going =
to get=20
busier.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Where can I find information about PAM so I can =
adapt my=20
perl script to be the method that the pam.conf file uses to authenticate =
a user.=20
Am I reinveting the wheel? Any other suggestions?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>(I realise perl probably isn't the answer for =
production,=20
but I just want to test it!)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The software packages that I will use&nbsp;are =
Postfix,=20
ProFtp, Cistron Radius, and Qpopper.&nbsp; I currently have FreeBSD 4.1, =
but=20
will be upgrading soon.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Stavros.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C146E3.71738080--