Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 21:37:59 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        alain@Wit401402.student.utwente.nl, current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Of slices and boot code..

>Well, you must admit that this example is a little contrived and if
>such insane nesting were required because the user was trying to
>shoe-horn FreeBSD into a system already so dedicated to DOS and Linux,
>well, then so be it.  I'm trying to keep the most common scenarios as
>simple and clean as possible and, truth be told, if someone REALLY
>wanted to install FreeBSD in such a convoluted environment then I'd
>say that the naming would be the least of their worries!

Another try.  The following naming schemes for slices exist or are
being considered:

	DOS		FreeBSD		Linux		what you asked for
	--		------		----		-----
	C:		sd0s1		sda1		sd0s1
	### assume there is only one drive so that some DOS drive letters
	### aren't for other drives
	D:		sd0s2		sda2		sd0s2
	E:		sd0s3		sda3		sd0s3
	F:		sd0s4		sda4		sd0s4
	### end of slices on MBR
	### assume sd0s4 is an extended slice and the only extended slice
	G:		sd0s5		sda5		sd0s4e0
	H:		sd0s6		sda6		sd0s4e1
	I:		sd0s7		sda7		sd0s4e2
	J:		sd0s8		sda8		sd0s4e3
	K:		sd0s9		sda9		sd0s4e4
	L:		sd0s10		sda10		sd0s4e5
	M:		sd0s11		sda11		sd0s4e6
	N:		sd0s12		sda12		sd0s4e7
	O:		sd0s13		sda13		sd0s4e8
	P:		sd0s14		sda14		sd0s4e9
	Q:		sd0s15		sda15		sd0s4e10
	R:		sd0s16		can't handle	sd0s4e11
	S:		sd0s17		"		sd0s4e12
	T:		sd0s18		"		sd0s4e13
	U:		sd0s19		"		sd0s4e14
	V:		sd0s20		"		sd0s4e15
	W:		sd0s21		"		sd0s4e16
	X:		sd0s22		"		sd0s4e17
	Y:		sd0s23		"		sd0s4e18
	Z:		sd0s24		"		sd0s4e19
	can't handle	sd0s25		"		sd0s4e20
	"		sd0s26		"		sd0s4e21
	"		sd0s27		"		sd0s4e22
	"		sd0s28		"		sd0s4e23
	"		sd0s29		"		sd0s4e24
	"		sd0s30		"		sd0s4e25

Which do you prefer? :-)  Which is the least consistent?

>More to the point, I have yet to get a single tech-support query from
>someone with all 4 MBR slots filled.  It just doesn't seem to happen
>that way.  I think that my proposal still has merit.

This is probably because people with 4 MBR slots filled have probably
practiced running fdisk at least 3 times more than people with 1 MBR
slot filled.

>> >I'm still not clear on whether or not those last patches of yours will
>> >enable me to yank the "compatibility hacks" out of sysinstall.  I
>> >surely would like to as it would actually simplify the code
>> >considerably!
>>
>> It would also simplify the kernel code considerably.

>So.  Um.  You're saying that this is planned/done/on the way?  I'm
>still a little unclear on that.. :-)

I didn't have the compatibility hacks originally, but it became obvious
that there would be too many problems getting everyone converted without
them.

Bruce