Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:55:24 -1000
From:      hoe-waa@hawaii.rr.com
To:        thrawn <mattias.bjork@sydnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mouse problems with KVM switch

From=3A thrawn =3Cmattias=2Ebjork=40sydnet=2Enet=3E
Date=3A Thursday=2C August 19=2C 2004 6=3A18 am

=3E Hi=2C
=3E =

=3E I have just brought this KVM switch=3A
=3E http=3A//www=2Elevel1=2Ecom/products3=2Ephp=3Fsklop=3D20=26id=3D59043=
0
=3E =

=3E But Im having major problems with getting the mouse to work under =

=3E FreeBSD=2E Even the keyboard does not work sometimes=2E This KVM swit=
ch =

=3E has =

=3E support for hotkey and also supports emulation on both mouse and =

=3E keyboard=2E
=3E When I boot up my system and see the BIOS on the computer the =

=3E keyboard =

=3E works just fine=2E Then when it continues to boot and comes to the =

=3E loader=2C =

=3E it still works=2E And the it starts to load the kernel=2E But then wh=
en =

=3E i =

=3E get to the login prompt the keyboard does not work=2E
=3E =

=3E And sometimes even thought I stay with the computer the hole boot =

=3E process I can=27t even use the keyboard=2E So I have to use ssh to =

=3E login to =

=3E the computer and make it reboot to regain the keyboard=2E I have also=
 =

=3E tried to change the cables but I get the same results=2E And It works=
 =

=3E with =

=3E no problems under Windows XP Pro=2E
=3E =

=3E The system that im using is FreeBSD 5=2E2=2E1-p9=2C at least on this =
system=2E
=3E =

=3E I  have also two other computers that Im running FreeBSD-stable on=2E=
 =

=3E On =

=3E one of my FreeBSD-stable machines I have hade a working mouse under =

=3E X =

=3E Windows System (Xorg latest from ports)=2E
=3E =

=3E But then I rebooted the system and when I started xdm=2C it found the=
 =

=3E mouse but when I move it around It didn=27t move like it should=2E It=
 =

=3E took =

=3E some seconds before it moved and it did not move like it should=2C =

=3E jumps =

=3E several ramdom cm/inches on the screen (Perhaps in the direction =

=3E that I =

=3E move the mouse im not sure)=2E Its on usable in other words=2E
=3E =

=3E I have also tryied to use moused under FreeBSD but I get the same =

=3E fault/problem=2E I also have a problem if I do not have this machine =

=3E selected when I boot=2E Then when I switch to it when the boot of the=
 =

=3E FreeBSD system has complete=2C The screen on the monitor just blinks=2E=

=3E =

=3E Still the keyboard works because I can press two times Left Ctrl =

=3E and =

=3E then 1 to 4 to change the computer Im controlling=2E This I can not =

=3E do =

=3E with the FreeBSD 5=2E2=2E1-p9 system I can only see the screen but ha=
ve =

=3E to =

=3E change the computer im controlling by pressing the button on the =

=3E switch box=2E
=3E =

=3E I have tried to remove the cables and put them back again=2E But that=
 =

=3E does =

=3E not help=2C the only solution I can see is to reboot the system and =

=3E let it =

=3E boot with it selected=2E I have also booted up with the mouse =

=3E directly =

=3E connected to the computer=2E Then when the system boot was completed =

=3E I =

=3E moved the mouse around to see that it did work=2E After that I =

=3E plugged =

=3E back the cable from the switch in to the computers mouse port=2E And =

=3E the =

=3E plugged the mouse back in the switch box=2C that did not work either=2E=

=3E =

=3E I have also added flags to both psm0 and atkbd in my kernel config=3A=

=3E =

=3E =23 atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
=3E device          atkbdc0 at isa=3F port IO=5FKBD
=3E device          atkbd0  at atkbdc=3F irq 1 flags 0x0
=3E device          psm0    at atkbdc=3F irq 12 flags 0x0
=3E =

=3E I have also tried with the flags set to 0x100 on both atkbd0 and =

=3E psm0=2C =

=3E but that doesn=27t seem to make any diffrance=2E I have done this on =
my =

=3E FreeBSD 5=2E2=2E1-p9 box as well=2E I have also changed it in=3A
=3E =

=3E /boot/device=2Ehints
=3E =

=3E But I don=27t get it working correctly either by that=2E
=3E =

=3E Does anybody have a clue or have hade any similar problems and/or =

=3E who =

=3E could shine some light on this problem=3F
=3E =

=3E Mvh Mattias Bj=F6rk

Aloha Mattias

This all sounds familiar=2E I too had a lot of trouble
with a KVM switch=2E Actually=2C I tried two with the same
problem you are alluding to=2E

I came to the conclusion that the mouse will not work
through the KVM switch using FBSD=2C or at least I never
got it to=2E

I have two computers that are both running 5=2E2=2E1

I have connected a mouse directly to each computer=2E
I still had to shutdown both computers and connect =

the cables for the monitor and keyboard from each to
the KVM=2E I also connected and old mouse to the output
of the KVM=2E

With all this connected=2C I then powered up both computers=2E All seems =
to work fine with the inconvenience
of having to use 2 meese=2E I seldom have to go into one
fo the computers=2C so I can live with it=2E

This is probably not the answer you were looking for
but you were also looking for others who had problems=2E

Best of Luck
Robert