Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 16:13:52 -0700
From:      "Sean Kelly" <kelly@ad1440.net>
To:        "Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven" <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>, "Nik Clayton" <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG>, <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Including images in the documentation

> >> It would be even better to describe our figures in SGML :).  Do you
know
> >> of any DTDs being used to describe figures and diagrams?
> >
> >See previous paragraph.
>
> Even simpler.
>
> It uses the SVG DTD from w3c to create new shapes, thus it is easily
> extendable.
>
> Still need to create a SVG DTD port though.

Which would depend on a bunch of the XML processing tools, too, since the
SVG DTD is an XML application, not SGML.  (Which would be fine by me ...
I've got plenty of disk space, and plenty of XML tools installed already.
:-)

As for EPS as the superformat ... well, I like the simplicity of having a
single storage format, but it's not always plain text, if I recall
correctly.  PostScript Level 2 (and up) allows bitmap images in an EPS file
to be encoded using a variety of different mechanisms, some of the binary
(right?).

Take care,
--Sean