Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:51:30 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crash with fd0/msdos_fs/more

* Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> [001109 15:45] wrote:
> Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com> types:
> > # more I\ Quit.doc
> > panic: vm_fault fault on nofault entry addr: c58f200
> >
> > << system reboots >>
> [...]
> > What category would this go into?  `misc', `kern', `bin', `i386',
> > other?
>
> Kern. If the machine reboots when it shouldn't, the kernel's at fault.
>
> Actually, one thing to try before submitting the PR is doing the same
> thing as a non-root user, and seeing what happens.

I don't completely agree with it, but it's hard for a kernel to
cope with a trashed or damaged filesystem:

"hrm, this is broke, is because the disk itself is bad or is it
because internally I've hosed some of my driver or filesystem data
structures...  I could continue and disallow writes and possibly
reads to/from this bad area... but wait what! if my driver state
is hosed... and what if the FS corruption is because I messed up
some internal structures... and what is the average air speed
velocity of a.."

*kernel screams and flys into the chasm*

I sort of like how solaris will downgrade a mount to read-only when
it detects on disk corruption, this should prevent any further
corruption if it's a filesystem of driver bug, but it's not very
safe and I'm pretty sure the default is still to panic.

Moral of all of this is to use the "mtools" for ms-dog floppy access
and "dd+fsck+vnconfig" for UFS floppies.