Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 15:28:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Cash <dcash@gnofn.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation Problem

Hello.

I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1 on my computer and I am having some
problems.  I have a laptop connected to a docking station.  The docking
station has a 1.2 GB fixed disk drive (known as PEANUT) and a Toshiba 4x
CD-ROM drive.  It seems that the CD-ROM is unsupported by FreeBSD,
althought I am not certain of this.  In the laptop, I have a 500 MB fixed
disk drive (known as GRAMPS).  Currently, I have 482 MB of GRAMPS
allocated as C: for Windows 95 and 400 MB of PEANUT allocated as D: for
Windows 95.  I left 800 MB of PEANUT free for the BSD install.  I had to
copy a good deal of the dists to C: to install BSD, but that seemed to
finally work.  However, the boot manager does not seem to work.  The only
noticeable change to the system after BSD has been installed is that the
C: partition on GRAMPS has been made inactive and my only choice is to
boot from flopopy and use fdisk to set that partition to be active, since
my computer will not boot from a fixed disk without an active partition.
And in my BIOS, my only boot options are "A:, C:" or "C:, A:".  And when
I set the C: partition to be the active partition, my computer just boots
right into Windows 95 and doesn't seem to be aware that the might FreeBSD
is even in its midst...

Any ideas?  The only thing I have not tried is to repartition GRAMPS so
that C: becomes about 382 MB and I make a 100 MB partition for the core
stuff of FreeBSD (could I get away with a smaller space?) on GRAMPS so
that both are able to boot from GRAMPS.  Then I could devote the large
partition on PEANUT to the rest of FreeBSD...so should I go to the
trouble to repartition GRAMPS or is this not the answer?  Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks for your attention to my problem.  I can't wait to ge FreeBSD up
and running!

Sincerely,

Dave Cash

Dave Cash						   Power to the People!
Free-Net Free Agent in My Free Time				 Right On-Line!
dcash@gnofn.org							    Dig it all.