Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 23:54:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM DCAS-34330 - NCR875 Comp.

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Acting on recommendations, I went and purchased an IBM DCAS 34330 drive,
> to add to my main server.  I like the physical design, but when I tried
> to put it on the chain with my other two Fujitsu fast/wide drives, it
> wouldn't work.
>
> It's not calbe trouble (the server was my first experimentation with
> wide drives, and the calbe is a Granite Digital cable, so I think I;m ok
> there.  I followed termination recommendations, and even tried to
> rearrange things so I would work with & without a termination.  Still
> didn't work.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure if it'll work with an NCR-875
> Controller?  I figure it's probably an infant-mortality thing, but this
> is a double-check.

I'm using two such wide drives (you didn't say if yours was the wide
or narrow version though), a 16X NEC cdrom, and a Wangtek 51000 QIC
tape drive with one of those controllers without a hitch.  I have auto
spinup disabled and the controller sends a START UNIT on boot.  Parity
is enabled on all devices.  The controller is terminating the upper 8
bits of the bus (autoterm on), and the cdrom drive is terminating the
the narrow side.  I believe i have only the controller supplying
termpwr.  The cables are the ones that came with the Tekram DC390F.

CDROM(term)--TAPE--Controller(upper8term)==DCAS34330W==DCAS34330W(term)

scbus0 at ncr0 bus 0
scbus0 target 0 lun 0: WIDE SCSI (16 bit) enabledscbus0 target 0 lun
0: 10.0 MB/s (200 ns, offset 15)
sd0 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0
sd0: <IBM DCAS-34330W S65A> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0: Direct-Access
sd0: WIDE SCSI (16 bit) enabled
sd0: 40.0 MB/s (50 ns, offset 15)
4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors)
scbus0 target 1 lun 0: WIDE SCSI (16 bit) enabledscbus0 target 1 lun
0: 10.0 MB/s (200 ns, offset 15)
sd1 at scbus0 target 1 lun 0
sd1: <IBM DCAS-34330W S65A> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd1: Direct-Access
sd1: WIDE SCSI (16 bit) enabled
sd1: 40.0 MB/s (50 ns, offset 15)
4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors)
cd0 at scbus0 target 2 lun 0
cd0: <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:463 1.05> type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0: CD-ROM
cd0: 10.0 MB/s (100 ns, offset 15)
can't get the size
st0 at scbus0 target 5 lun 0
st0: <WANGTEK 51000  SCSI M75E> type 1 removable SCSI 1
st0: Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty

Hope this helps you out....

By the way, anyone have the jumper settings for the above SCSI tape
drive?  I know its switchable SCSI1/SCSI2, and it seems to be in SCSI1
mode for some reason.  I've looked at all known places that sell the
drive and on Altavista with no luck on finding anything about how to
configure it.  The SCSI ID jumpers were all I could figure out on my
own. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */