Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:02:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS V3 caching question (nfs_bio.c)

.   Well, offset 0 for 8k appears to be cached correctly. I do not
.understand (yet, I'm working on it) why we are even attempting to
.read bp->b_blkno==1 since it doesn't exist. Yes, the file is 8k.
.
.-rw-r--r--  1 jwd  jwd  8192 Feb  2 20:47 /net/netapp/home/jwd/8k.h
.
.   Any comments (helpful) or critiques (telling me I'm looking in the
.wrong place) are welcome.
.
.ps: If the file size is 8193, then block numbers 0 & 1 are always
.    cached, but the last block, 2, for 1 byte length, is never
.    found in the cache.
.
.pss: I almost think I'm looking for a bad length comparison.

     No, but probably you expect the EOF detection in the wrong place. The
  cache caches data but obviously not the EOF (=error condition on reading
          last block). At least it does not tell you that it found an EOF.

  Did you snoop on the wire to see if a request for that last block leaves
                       your system? Would be interested to see the answer.

                                                                      Nick

                                      ME-SAI, Joint Research Centre, Italy
                                                              building: 69
                                                     tel.: +39 332 78 9943