Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 1997 00:36:44 -0600
From:      John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
To:        Fadi Sodah <sodah@qatar.net.qa>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partition

It might also help to know what the machine will be used for.  Mail
server, printer server, workstation, samba server, NAT/firewall box.  I
use different partition sizes depending on it's use.

But generally for large drives (>=4G)

/ - 64M-256M (max)
swap - 2 x RAM, or if I might be installing more ram later, 2 x future
RAM size,  This is so I don't have to repartition the drive after I
increase the RAM.  Drives are cheap.
/var - 128M minimum. Larger for mail servers, large tmp files, print
servers (1-2G)
/usr - 512M I put the rest of the storage into an /opt partition.
/opt - rest of drive.  Some people just put the rest of the space into
/usr.  I like to separate /usr files which will be upgrade during a
system upgrade from my data files like home directories, samba drives,
etc.

johnl