Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:00:51 -0800
From:      Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.4-RCx "jumping to kernel entry" hang on Ultra1/2/30

Royce Williams wrote, On 4/29/2005 9:13 AM:

> On 4/29/2005 8:39 AM, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

[snip]

>> Ok, now I'm officially in a state of severe confusion. The patch I had
>> fixed
>> an issue with the Zilog Z8530 SCC. The dmesg(8) you attached shows
>> that you
>> don't have one. You have a Siemens SAB82532 SCC and 2 16550's. It
>> doesn't add
>> up. Did you attach the right dmesg(8)? Did the RC3-p1 ISO contain other
>> changes that happened to fix your problem? Is your problem really
>> fixed or
>> were you just lucky?
>

> I just double-checked by booting again.  That's definitely my Ultra 30,
> and I'm definitely using Ken's -p1 ISO, downloaded from ftp4 this morning
> Here's a fresh paste from a fresh boot (note that this is straight from
> the console at boot):
>
> FreeBSD 5.4-RC3 #1: Thu Apr 28 13:53:28 UTC 2005
>     root@binkley.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>
> [snip]
>
> uart0: <SAB 82532 v3.2, channel A> on puc0
> uart0: CTS oflow
> uart0: console (9600,n,8,1)
> uart1: <SAB 82532 v3.2, channel B> on puc0
> uart1: CTS oflow
> uart2: <16550 or compatible> addr 0x14003083f8-0x14003083ff irq 41 on ebus0
> uart3: <16550 or compatible> addr 0x14003062f8-0x14003062ff irq 42 on ebus0
>

> Marcel, I don't know if anything else besides your changes went into
> the ISO, but I doubt it -- Ken, can you confirm?
>
> I booted three times from the -p1 ISO and didn't get the lockup.  I was
> in a hurry this morning and did not have time to follow this up with
> separate testing of the old ISO.  I suppose it's possible that something
> else made my problem go away.  I can test the vanilla 5.4-RC3 ISO again
> when I get home.

With the boot-only ISO, I get a clean boot every time.  With the full
disc1, I lock up even before the "jumping to kernel entry line:

FreeBSD/sparc64 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.0
(root@binkley.cse.buffalo.edu, Sun Apr 17 07:33:09 UTC 2005)
bootpath="/pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@6,0:a"
-

Note that the hyphen above is the third character in the spinning
effect.  This is very repeatable on my system - locks at the same
point every time, right after the | and the / .

I just double-checked both MD5sums; I have no idea why I'm getting
different behavior with the two ISOs.  Simplest answer is that there's
something wrong with one, but I can't find anything on my side.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving town for a week and so won't be able to
do any further testing for you.  I hope that Dieter and/or Gheorghe
can pick up the baton.

-royce

Royce D. Williams                                  - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                    - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531
work: [first.last]@acsalaska.net           - http://www.tycho.org/royce/