Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:55:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dufault@hda.hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI harddisk trouble: MEDIUM ERROR

> Well put - I should have read your message before responding.  However:
>
> > ...  Since we don't do read after write verify operations if
> > a data hard error occurs in the block during the write that is undeteced
> > during the read there is nothing that AWRE/ARRE can do about it...
>
> Do think this happens often?

Almost certainly all of the reported ``why doesn't ARRE/AWRE'' handle this
bad block are instances of this occuring, most likely a write operation that
went haywire and undetected.

> Are there situations where
> "write and verify" support would be worth the probable huge
> performance hit?

It would be really nice to have a knob to turn it on and off via sysctl,
Novell servers have had that knob since the 2.x days, Vax/VMS has had
it for as long as I can remember, yes, I do think this would be worth it
if we have a knob to twist.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD