Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:58:28 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Databases

Tom T. Thai wrote:

> > > msql, mysql, postgress
> > Maybe i should elobrate.. what are the differences, benefits.  For
> > example, i heard a rumor, that mysql doesn't allow more than one
> > connection at a time it just puts it in a FIFO queue.  true?.. i need
> > some more background to help me make an educated decision.
>
> I've only worked with msql.. so I couldn't make a very good comparison for
> you :<

I used to use msql (1.16) but recently switched to mysql for various
reasons.  It is just as stable for me as msql was and has many more
features as well as being a big performance improvement.  So at the
moment mysql is the best thing available.  ODBC connectivity is a
massive plus.  I've got a client developing a website using mysql/php
and a delphi application to maintain the database.

Further the company behind it have a couple of guys working on it so
development is rapid.  I think David Hughes (msql) has other things to
do now so msql MAY not be developed anymore, I haven't heard much from
the msql mailing list recently anyway.

regards
damian

--