Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 08:52:58 -0500
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   x11amp, again (with more info)

In (perhaps vain) hopes of hunting down and killing the x11amp bug,
here's some more info. Perhaps someone can make something of this.

Everything will work fine for a while. An hour of playing maybe? A
couple of runs? Then, the player (not the GUI) will die with a
SIGBUS and dump core. The GUI will still be there but be useless.

After (of course) killing the GUI process, and trying to start
x11amp again, the playing process will die with SIGSEGV (not
SIGBUS) and leave a GUI carcass. The developer has suggested
that I try removing the FIFO that is used to communicate between
the GUI and the player. It's not there (both processes are
gone now).

What sucks here is that gdb will read the core file, but not understand
the binary, since it's a Leenax binary. /compat/linux/usr/bin/gdb will
understand the binary, but won't understand the corefile :-\

What I could do is ktrace x11amp, and use linux_kdump to look
at the last few calls of the program. Here they are. I hope
someone is able to deduce something, because the author is still
unwilling to release the source:

  3353 x11amp   CALL  getpid
  3353 x11amp   RET   getpid 3353/0xd19
  3353 x11amp   CALL  linux_ipc(0x17,0,0x2001c,0x780,0)
  3353 x11amp   RET   linux_ipc -1 errno -28 Unknown error: -28
  3353 x11amp   CALL  linux_ipc(0x15,0xffffffff,0,0xefbfd390,0)
  3353 x11amp   RET   linux_ipc -1 errno -22 Unknown error: -22
  3353 x11amp   CALL  linux_ipc(0x18,0xffffffff,0,0,0)
  3353 x11amp   RET   linux_ipc -1 errno -14 Unknown error: -14
  3353 x11amp   PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL
  3353 x11amp   NAMI  "x11amp.core"