Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:48:06 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        witr@rwwa.com, bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   AMD NFS hangs

Using 3.0-RELEASE I am experiencing NFS hangs related to AMD mounts
of some filesystems.  I suspect that this may be related to this
message that I got the first time I booted with AMD enabled:

"noconn option exists, and was turned OFF! (May cause NFS hangs on some
systems...)"

I got this for a lot of the filesystems.

At this installation we use a *large* database of AMD maps distributed
using NIS.  We put the "noconn" option in the /defaults map entry because
we have to automount a lot of buggy multihomed Sunos systems that
return NFS mount requests from an IP address different than the one
in the request.  Noconn is supposed to work around this problem.

I have a number of FreeBSD systems that all use this map setup.  The
2.1.6 systems *never* have this problem.  The 2.2.6 systems sometimes
experience these hangs, but *never* output the above message.  The 3.0
system outputs the above message *and* hangs.  I suspect that this message
just makes explicit something that was already happening in 2.2.6.

Anyway, what can I do to resolve this problem?

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 916 8256)
BWithrow@BayNetworks.com