Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 10:19:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: proposed socket change (IPFW too? :)

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> >   I'd like to propose a change in struct socket, which should increase its
> > functionality. It should first be noted that, along with my IPFW UID/GID
> > code (which would be nice to have merged into HEAD too, and if I must, I'll
> > clean up the ugly switch part), I included this change. Implementation time
> > would be nil, as would testing.
>
> no objection on the struct socket change (but i just wonder, if there
> are side effects in changing the struct socket, perhaps one might put
> the same parameter in the struct tcpcb/udpcb/inpcb ? after all it is
> being used by ipfw only).

It's only truly associative with the socket itself, if you think about it. I'd like to see
what David thinks about this change, since networking is seemingly 'his' where IPFW is
'yours'.

> On the ipfw side, yes i think the switch to locate & check credential
> can be simplified by merging the final part (and perhaps even the
> in_pcblookup() calls).

Yes, I think I'll clean up ipfw :) Parts of it are due for a rewrite, as the code has grown
unwieldly.

> 	cheers
> 	luigi
>   Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
>   http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
>   TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
>
> 		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
> ====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \ _ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___)___/___/