Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:15:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
To:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAE (was Re: bus_dmamem_alloc_size())

 --- "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org> wrote: > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003,
Julian Elischer wrote:

[...]
> :The reason for PAE is simple.
> :
> :Disk caches need not be in mapped memory. Physical memory will do.
> :If you want to cache more than  4GB, then PAE is an effective
> answer.
> :
> :(Assuming I have my TLAs the right way around..)
> :
> :
>
> Ya, well Im glad you brought that up, b/c aside from the anti-PAE
> rants
> that have been coming across (which are of ZERO USE -- THX FOR THAT),
> do believe there are uses for it.   I am glad to hear that someone is
> on
> it :)  Thanks to them and those who organized the project for it.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew
>
> --
> Andrew R. Reiter
> arr@watson.org
> arr@FreeBSD.org

Would this be part of a unified buffer-cache scheme though? If I have
been following correctly, this memory cannot be directly mapped into
processes address space (i.e. a process in one "segment" cannot access
directly memory in another "segment"), so how would it be useful as a
cache? Wouldn't this need lots of data copying as in bounce buffers?