Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:53:23 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrey Sverdlichenko <blaze@infosec.ru>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware crypto (Re: KAME stable 20000704)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

> 	In case anyone got confused: please note that "IPsec support for
> 	crypto card" and "crypto card support as user-mode device file"
> 	are totally different thing.  Former one needs MAJOR work in
> 	network IP layer design (BSD IP layer runs under software interrupt,
> 	killing possibility for offloading CPU).  OpenBSD did a truely
> 	super job on this.

Hmmm... i don't know about KAME/IPSEC, but in our cryptorouter i made it
in easy way:

1) in software interrupt context packet goes to "crypto task queue"
2) kernel process gets packet from this queue and passes it to
encryption/decryption functions (currently software, but i see nothing
special in hardware support)
3) after processing packet injected back to ip_input()/ip_output().