Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:45:05 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter not broken for me

> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 04:01:28PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> > In some email I received from Doug Barton, sie wrote:
> > > On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > 	I updated to the latest and greatest last night around midnight
> > > and built/installed -current just fine. What about the ipfilter import =
> is
> > > broken, and have you let Darren know? I haven't seen anything on the li=
> sts
> > > about it...
> >=20
> > I have not received any email about it.  I tested building all the ipfilt=
> er
> > binaries and kernel after the import and came up clean.  if ref5 was a bit
> > quicker....
> >=20
> That was probably a local problem on one of the Brian's fast machines
> where I initially attempted to finally test my patch (unsynched cvsup
> update?).  Sorry for the false alarm, I can't check it right now anyway.

Yes...  I've had periods where the compiler drops cores all over the
place, and other periods where things work fine.  It's on a P4-1.7Ghz
and has behaved like this since about last August.

The only variable is the kernel - some kernels work and some don't.
I've spent many 10s of hours trying to track it down, and I still
have no idea what causes it - except that some kernels ``just work''
and some don't.

Maybe it depends on the humidity in the room when a kernel is built
or something - and I'm only half joking here !

FWIW ru, /boot/kernel/kernel seems ok now.  /boot/kernel.sig/kernel
isn't.

--
Brian <brian@freebsd-services.com>                <brian@Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>