Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:26:15 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, Andy Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ways to promote FreeBSD?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 05:18:47PM -0400, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> > > Those who need FreeBSD already use it. no need to promote. Or maybe need
> > > to promote bigger donations to FreeBSD community from big users.
> > >
> > > Those who actually need high performers and have servers that are loaded
> > > and are working not toying around - use FreeBSD.
> >
> > Not really true and kind of a poor attitude.
> > Yes. many people needing high performance already use FreeBSD, but
> > there are lots of services that could benefit from FreeBSD who are
> > not very aware of it.  They may have heard the name, and even know
> > that it is an OS, but have heard it passed off as a non-entity in
> > the field and do not know better than that.
> >
> > Sure, if people take the time and come to the web site and then
> > download and use it and learn it, they know and don't need to
> > be told much.  But, most others are not yet in that situation.
> > They might appreciate the help.   Of course, some may be too
> > lazy or prejudiced to go through that, but many just need some
> > more information and encouragement I would guess.
> >
> > ////jerry
> >

> My opinion is that most important obstacle in front of FreeBSD is its
> installation structure :

There, you are wrong.   If you choose to take the defaults, you can
breeze through installation just setting IP and hostame and nameserver
the same as on any Lunix I have ever installed.

But, FreeBSD does make options much more plentiful than Linux and
that is one of the things that makes FreeBSD so powerful and
useful.

> It is NOT possible to install and use a FreeBSD distribution directly as it
> is .

Completely not true.

> In Linux distributions , when a distribution is installed , the user , NOT
> root ,
> can use its facilities WITHOUT setting a ( large ) number of parameters
> which it is approximately ZERO .
>
> Contrary to this , when a FreeBSD is installed , an ordinary user can NOT
> use USB , CD/DVD , etc. , and even key board / mouse in X without setting
> MANY parameters in MANY files ( loder.conf , rc.conf , etc. ) .

I never set anything special for using USB or CD, etc.  I just put in
some media and mount them and use them.   I don't need to do anything
special in installation.

I have always had to muck with rc stuff and especially the horrid iptables
every time I have installed a Lunic.

Enough, though.   I doubt you will be convinced.

////jerry