Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:23:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   /compat -> /usr/local/compat

This is a final call for opinions.  I will move /compat to
${PREFIX}/compat (basically /usr/local/compat) in a couple of days if
nobody objects.

Satoshi
-------
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:32:48 +0930
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc: FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>,
        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: /: file system is full
Mobile: +61-41-739-7062
WWW-Home-Page: http://www.lemis.com/~grog
Fight-Spam-Now: http://www.cauce.org

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 11:59:37PM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * The other alternative is, of course, to recommend a 45 MB root slice.
>  * There's nothing so holy about /compat that it *should* be in the root
>  * slice, but I don't like gratuituous symlinks either.  I'm copying
>
> IIRC, someone mentioned that /compat might be needed at startup before
> mounting anything, and that is the reason why it is in /.

Sure, that's the classical reason for putting something in /.  But I
can't see that we're going to need Linux programs before /usr is
mounted.

> OTOH, this question seems to come up quite often and is quite a thorn
> on our collective sides.  I would love to see it moved to
> ${PREFIX}/compat (where I suspect it lives on most people's machines
> anyway) if that is only a case of vast minority.

The worst problem I could see with that would be the transition.  I'm
copying -hackers; what do you guys think?

(Ducks until Jordan's answer has died down :-)
Greg