Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 1995 09:22:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Robinson <robinson@nrnsinc.on.ca>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports of FreeBSD

Hello Terry,

> If you can get the hardware documentation for the PowerPC machines
> out of Apple, or you can convince IBM to open their *warehouses* full
> of PCI based PC class PPC machines that they haven't got WARP running on
> to their satisfaction (and pry hardware docs out of them), or if you can
> find a third party that builds a board such that the total system is in
> the $2000-$3000 range (like the IBM and Apple systems) and get docs
> from them... then I will buy a machine the same business day that I
> get the documentation, I will pay FedEx charges to get it to me as
> fast as possible on top of the default charges, and I will start work
> the day the machine arrives.  I've had copies of the PReP standard
> since the 2nd day after it was available up to the point where Apple
> decided they could make more money in a closed hardware market and
> threw PReP out the window in favor of CHRP (which is about as useful
> as a documented hardware standard as POSIX is as an ABI).

Now that IBM has released their systems, with the entry model at <$3000,
what are your thoughts?  Do you intend to pick one of these up and start
porting?  I'd like to get my hands on one of these machines, and help
with testing, etc.  I've done some C programming, and unix programming,
but I'm not a pro.  Porting a kernel would be over my head.   My other
problem if that I have to dig up the money for one of these systems.  Up
here in Canada, you are looking at over $4000 CDN for one, and I don't
have that right now.  Perhaps if I do enough OverTime, by the end of
summer I'd be able to purchase one.  Hmm. I could also sell off some of
my current hardware...

Anyway, just looking for your thoughts, and letting you know that once I
can get the money together, you'd have some support from here.

--
Ken Robinson
DREnet Network Coordination Centre (NCC)