Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 1997 22:50:11 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attention all users of the de driver!

> If you have a de0 device in your machine and you're running -current,
> NOW is the time to let us know if there are any problems with it!
>
> We know for a fact that 2.2-stable's driver does not work on at least
> one card, the Znyx 4-port NIC, but we also don't know if 3.0-current
> is going to break a lot more people if we bring it in.  Therefore, if
> you do NOT wish to see the de driver in 2.2-stable updated using the
> 3.0-current bits, now is the time to speak up since we will otherwise
> take your silence as "it works great, bring it on over!"
>
> 					Jordan

Just this (posted to -hackers on Sep 13):

Subject: de0: system error: master abort

> I haven't looked into this myself, but it's annoying me enough (dmesg
> is useless) to ask if anyone else is seeing it.
>
> I get literally millions of these *all* the time.  I've commented out
> the error locally, but I thought I might ask if anyone added this
> feature on purpose.
> --
> Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
>       <http://www.awfulhak.org>;
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

It's an SMC card...

de0: <Digital 21041 Ethernet> rev 0x11 int a irq 9 on pci0.17.0
de0: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
de0: address 00:00:c0:ff:e9:ce
de0: enabling 10baseT port

If anyone wants to know more, I'll open the box.
The card seems to function ok - the errors are annoying though :-|
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;