Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 2015 19:56:01 +0200
From:      Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?Sm9zw6kgUMOpcmV6?= <fbl@aoek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Uses/compiler.mk does not trigger under RBPi

José Pérez wrote:
> Hi Michelle,
> this makes sense, there are two bugs.
>
> 1) there is a bug somewhere in Mk/* that pulls USES/compiler.mk in
> also when USES+=compiler is not specified, AND the processor is
> Intel/AMD (or at least not ARM)

I would agree this is probably one or two bugs in itself.  One would say
it should not automatically pull in Uses/compiler.mk under any
circumstances without USES+=compiler being specified in the port
Makefile otherwise what's the point of the 'option'...

> 2) the following ports Makefile are broken in the sense that they use
> COMPILER_TYPE but do not call for USES+=compiler properly
> CANDIDATES=$(find /usr/ports -name Makefile -exec fgrep -l
> COMPILER_TYPE "{}" \;)
>
> for c in ${CANDIDATES}; do
>   [ -z "`awk '/USES/ && /compiler/' "${c}"`" ] && echo ${c}
> done
> /usr/ports/devel/arm-none-eabi-gcc/Makefile
> /usr/ports/devel/gcc-arm-embedded/files/Makefile
> /usr/ports/devel/powerpc64-xtoolchain-gcc/Makefile
> /usr/ports/graphics/hugin/Makefile
> /usr/ports/lang/gcc/Makefile
> /usr/ports/lang/gcc5-devel/Makefile
> /usr/ports/lang/gcc5/Makefile
> /usr/ports/lang/gcc6-devel/Makefile

Have not looked into the list, will take your word for it.  However I
would also say this is not 'lots', but it is something that portmgr
should probably have taken care of because this stinks of patching the
build system without proper testing.  (ie rudimentary testing on amd64,
it works, ship it...!)  Of course I'm only a user not a comitter and a
frequent complainer about people breaking s**t by just changing stuff
without any sort of proper change control other than, we need it, it
works on my system so lets ship it...

> Do you agree?
>
> Any ideas to help identify 1)? Thank you.

I could, but not right now, and to be perfectly honest - it's something
that probably lies with portmgr@ .. you should log bugs for this, I
would suggest in the initial instance just the one with a list of ports
that should be updated along with it, and mark it 'affects many'...
hopefully someone will take the time to pick it up and fix it.

Regards,

Michelle