Date:      Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:48:20 +0200
From:      VANHULLEBUS Yvan <vanhu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Olivier =?iso-8859-1?Q?Cochard-Labb=E9?= <olivier@cochard.me>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to protect RIPng or OSPFv3 with IPsec ?

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:26:32PM +0200, Olivier Cochard-Labb wrote:
> Hi,

Hi.

> I'm trying to protect RIPng and OSPFv3 (I'm using Quagga and Bird),
> but I didn't know how to manage multicast traffic with setkey.

You can't: IPsec has NOT be designed to protect multicast traffic
(well, there are actually at least some drafts in progress).

> Does someone have an example of /etc/ipsec.conf for protecting RIPng or OSPF3 ?

The real question is: what exactly are you trying to protect, and on
which part of the way.....

If your goal is to provide a global ciphering/authentication for some
dynamic routing infrastructure, just forget IPsec and search something
else designed for multicast / dynamic routing.

If you need, for example, to do dynamic routing between sites which
have each a single internet connection, and an IPsec tunnel to
communicate between LANs, then you MAY be able to do something for
your multicast packets by doing some other kind of IP-IP encapsulation
before IPsec.....

Never tried that, however, I don't know exactly how to do it !

Yvan.