Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 14:10:18 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bob Cohen <bcohen@bpecreative.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NT - FredBSD Networking Question

Bob Cohen wrote:

> I'm puzzled by how this will work.  As far as I can tell,
> the BSD box seems to recognize the network card, I see the
> little green light on my hub, but the Windows Network
> Neighborhood doesn't seem to recognize the BSD box.

No, it won't normally. You should still be able to access it via your
web browser by going to http://192.168.1.1/ (or whatever IP you used on
the BSD box, or its name if you have DNS running) to test your websites,
and telneting to it should still be fine. (Although I recommend you get
a different telnet program since the windows Telnet program is rather
crap. I use Tera Term Pro with the ttssh extension on the rare occasions
I use a Windows PC.)

If you do want it to show up, investigate Samba in the ports
collection. (Go to http://www.freebsd.org/ports/, choose "Net" category,
and you should be able to download the pre-compiled package from there.)
The BSD box should then show up, and you can access parts of its
filesystem as you would a shared folder on another Windows PC. You'll
need to configure a few things for Samba to work, of course, but it
isn't too painful.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and