Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:43:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, grog@lemis.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> You are absolutely right.  But only problem is that there are pretty
> stable things (like 2-way SMP) as well as definitely work on progress
> stuff (AIO to pick the latest example).  Since we only have one
> -current, we can't cut 3.0R until everything stabilizes.  Which is a
> real shame, because we are losing the market share right now to those
> who already offer SMP in their releases.
>
> No, I don't know what we should do.  We definitely don't want to
> branch the tree any further, and merging SMP into 2.2-stable is out of
> question.  It's just frustrating to me (who's pretty much an outsider
> when it comes to /usr/src) to watch the 3.0 release date slip and slip
> while there is already quite release-quality work in there.
>
> Satoshi

I know you all are goint to yell at me for this, but... I am using -current
on a production system. I needed SMP support, and couldn't wait, and didn't
want to switch to linux.

The only problem I see with what I'm doing is nfs file corruption(which is
rare, and minor). I know there's a lot of code being played with, tested,
etc. but it all seems stable.

A -current machine is handling www.mk4.com (2,000,000+ hits per month),
several shell accounts, and other heavy uses. (and it's running rc564 in the
background) The only crashes I've had were from nfs locking up after it's
server was rebooted, and from some bad simms....

But you are correct in assuming that you are going to lose market share by
waiting. If -current hadn't been stable when I grabbed it first, I probably
would have switched to linux, and probably not switched back.

I've got nothing to do with development here, but I know a lot of us lowly
users would *really* appreciate either a quick 3.0 release after everything
that's being worked on is 'done', or something similar.

The 2.2 series is really getting out of date. :)

Kevin Day
DragonData