Date:      Mon, 19 May 97 11:34:11 -0500
From:      "morty" <morty@mortykai.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   freebsd as internet gateway

ok, since nobody could help me with my connectivity problems, ive decided to try to make freebsd my internet
gateway. i already have internet ip space allocated from my isp. im new to freebsd and installed it for the 1st
time the other day. currently i have an os/2 machine operating as my gateway but the freebsd machine cant
connect to the outside world even though it can ping the outside world. other local hosts have no problem. so
if anyone can help with the following id appreciate it:

ppp connects to my isp but i am unable to reach any external hosts (im still working on this)

is it possible to have it redial after a disconnect or busy, etc?

is packet forwarding sufficient?

is ip masquerading possible with freebsd?

what conciderations should i make if i run bind, pop3d, apache (low traffic) and ircd (low traffic) on this
machine?

- pent 100
- 512k cache
- 24M ram
- havent decided on hd space yet, could go up to 1.5g if i need to.
- 3com 3c59x

thanks

-morty-

heard any good ones lately?