Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:39:01 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Will Senn <wsenn@postfuture.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which release?

Will Senn wrote:

> Do I take the latest, cutting edge 5.0?

Well, that depends. Do you want Tuesday's or Thursday's? I understand
that Tuesday's actually managed to boot but that Thursday's wouldn't
even build. We'll have to see what today's is like :-)

Seriously, there is a mandatory required for using -CURRENT. It is
*required* you subscribe to a particular mailing list. The CURRENT
release will crash and burn on you. It will do funky things to your
hardware. If you are from the Linux world, think of this not as kernel
2.3.x, but as kernel 2.3.76-063000.

> Do I take the 4.0?
> 3.5?

Either one. For a production system, front line ISP gateway, etc, take
3.5. If you're just running it on a consumer box, or seeking to learn
about FreeBSD, then go with 4.0.

When it comes to 4.0-STABLE, I'm still not sure.

> run back to redhat?

Egads! Of course not. If it turns out that you simply must slink back to
the Linux world, at least slink back to a decent distribution :-)

David