Date:      21 Feb 2003 10:46:43 -0500
From:      Fish <fish@fish-mail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron hard disk

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 10:03, Jason Andresen wrote:
> Tuc wrote:
> >>hi,
> >>
> >>i was wondering if anyone who has a dell inspiron has noticed that the disk
> >>likes to spin-up a lot.  it barely stays quiet for 3 minutes before it screams
> >>back into action (even if the system is totally idle).  i recall reading about
> >>a solution for linux that stopped it spinning up so much. does anyone know of
> >>such a solution for freebsd 4.x?
> >>
> >>i'm not subscribed to the list, i'd be greatful if you'd cc me, but i'll be
> >>checking the archives anyway. :>
> >>
> > 	Maybe that explains why my 8200 blew a disk in 9 months.
> >
> > 	Both drives do more of a "ker chunk" sound every 30 seconds or so.
> > Annoying enough that I close the door to my bedroom when its on in the next
> > room.
> >
> > 	Sure your not swapping, logging, etc?
>
> Hmm, I've got one running under Windows.  I always assumed it was
> Windows inability to keep it's greasy mitts off of any HD for more than
> 30 seconds that never let the drives spin down.  The idea that it can be
> fixed in Linux intrigues me (unless it's a patch to the VM subsystem).

I have an inspiron 8200 I bought about 7 months ago, and I've not had
any problems with the HDD.  I don't notice any excessive disk access, I
don't hear it spin up frequently, nothing.  My dmesg shows the following
for my drive.

ad0: 28615MB <HITACHI_DK23DA-30> [58140/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

Is that the drive you have?

Fish