Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:15:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Edward Ajhar <ajhar@noao.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   unexpected behavior of memory limits with XF86 3.3.1

The behavior of limits under XF86 3.3.1 is unexpected.  The "limit"s
are different under X than under a regular login session, and I do not
know how to change them under X.  I believe that this behavior is new
to 3.3.1/FreeBSD-2.2-stable (beginning when 3.3.1 was introduced), but
I am _not_ certain.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  How do I get the behavior I
expect from X?  In particular, I need to increase the "datasize"
limit.

With a virtual terminal (or remote) login with csh:
(before unlimit)                     (after unlimit)
cputime 	unlimited            cputime         unlimited
filesize 	unlimited	     filesize        unlimited
datasize 	16384 kbytes	     datasize        262144 kbytes
stacksize 	8192 kbytes	     stacksize       65536 kbytes
coredumpsize 	unlimited	     coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse 	30720 kbytes	     memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors 	64 		     descriptors     552
memorylocked 	10240 kbytes	     memorylocked    124224 kbytes
maxproc 	64 		     maxproc         275

>From an xterm with csh:
(before unlimit)                     (after unlimit)
cputime         unlimited	     cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited	     filesize        unlimited
datasize        16384 kbytes	     datasize        32768 kbytes    <---
stacksize       8192 kbytes	     stacksize       16384 kbytes    <---
coredumpsize    0 kbytes	     coredumpsize    0 kbytes
memoryuse       65536 kbytes	     memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     552 		     descriptors     552
memorylocked    65536 kbytes	     memorylocked    124224 kbytes
maxproc         256 		     maxproc         256

I am using the sample login.conf, where the default is

default:\
	:cputime=infinity:\
	:datasize-cur=16M:\
	:stacksize-cur=8M:\