Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:20:23 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Steve Neuharth <steve.neuharth@webhelp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't load kernel (?)

Steve Neuharth wrote:

> I've installed FreeBSD 4.0 on a Compaq Proliant 1600... the install runs
> fine till I reboot.
>
> I get....

> Unable to load kernel:
> Aborted!
> /
> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately or.....
> Booting [kernel]...
> can't load 'kernel'
>
> I even tried compiled a custom kernel and installed it before
> rebooting... no luck. I installed the latest SoftPaq BIOS upgrade for
> the hardware. RedHat6.2 installs and boots fine (but I'd rather use
> FreeBSD, of course).
>
> Any Ideas?... anyone?

I would think at first that you have a / partition that extends beyond
cylinder 1023, which is ~8.4GB. You didn't give us any information as
to your system structure, i.e., HD's and which drive you are
installing FreeBSD on.

BTW, you can have a fairly large FreeBSD slice but you have to have /
separated from the other filesystems. My / is 100MB and is 1st
partition in all cases. I have the 4.0 slice installed in the 2nd HD
partition in one system and as the 3rd partition in another. They are
all on drive ata0 and the FreeBSD slice covers the break point of
cylinder 1024.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart