Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:04:57 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD behind a firewall

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 10:59:23PM -0700, Crist J . Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 12:04:52PM -0400, SILVER, MICHAEL A wrote:
> > I have a situation where my FBSD machine sits behind a hardware firewall and
> > is inaccessible from the outside world.  The problem is, it needs to be
> > accessible.  The HW firewall is setup to pass all traffic to a specific
> > internet IP to the FBSD firewall, but this appears not to be happening, OR
> > the FBSD machine is not responding properly.  I need to find out which is
> > the problem and correct it.  (I don't have access to the HW firewall)
>
> Sniff (tcpdump) the external interface of the FreeBSD machine,
> 10.0.0.20. Try to connect to it from the Internet. Watch the tcpdump
> output and see if the packets are coming in.

It is quite probable that I miss some subtle point here, but unless I am
a complete fool, this address (10.0.0.20) belongs to the 10.0.0.0/8
block of IP's which most routers in Internet should recognize as a
'private network' address block and refuse to route from/to.

I think that using a real IP address to the outside interface of the
FreeBSD firewall is going to solve a lot of the problems at hand.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
For my public pgp2 key: finger -l keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr