Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derrick MacPherson <derrick@mercuryfilmworks.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AltQ/dummynet & IP accounting..

> > What seems to be the better of the two - AltQ or dummynet? Is one better
> > for certain jobs?
>
> the answer is likely yes, but rather than coming up wit a million
> different tasks why dont you decide/tell us what you want to do
> and then figure out which one (if not both) do the job.

There are 2 things:

1) I look after the Unix (Irix) boxes at a education
facility that has about 400 machines running on 5 class C's, and a 10 meg
connection to the net. There traffic has jumped from about 200 gigs a
month to about 900 gigs a month, and I told them they should get a traffic
shaping tool. The Cisco product to this costs about 15 000$, or so I am
told, that has yet to be confirmed, so it seems like running all the
traffic through a box is the way to go. My unix background is mainly Irix,
a little bit of Linux, some Sun, HP and I actually did an install of
FreeBSD4 about a month ago. I would like to set them up with a way to say
this group of machines (called A), and this protocols, either get 1st
priority or X megs (not sure if I? get an option on that), these machines
(B) and these protocols get 2nd or 70% of X megs, and anything outside
that (which I hope is all the streaming audio and napster traffic) gets
very little.

2) Where I work:
we have a wireless 4.5 meg connection to the net, the boss wants to know
how much surfing/streaming audio/napster traffic we are doing, and from
which machines. He may want to traffic shape, that is why I mentioned both
on the same box. There is 80 users, on 3 class c's, and we are also
providing network access for a couple other small (less than 5 machines)
clients in the building, and need to monitor their traffic ona  monthly
basis, to bill back at X per gig. (We will control their bandwidth via the
router)

> i would rather use ntop or trafshow or things like that. In ports/net, i
> think.

I will look into trafshow, I have not seen that before. ntop I have and
like.

Thank you Luigi

Derrick