Date:      Sun, 21 May 1995 10:13:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        kwong@fathergoose.net6c.io.org (Ken Wong)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Ram Speed

> > >   To some extent.  It is instesting that a good EISA system can best a
> > > poor PCI system.  Woe to those buying cheap PCI motherboards.
> >
> > My old 486DX33 ECS EISA/VLB Sis chipset with write back cache performs
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > better at memory speed benchmarks than most cheap PCI motherboards
>
> It is very useful if the chipset is also mentioned along with the type
> of motherboard. Afterall it is the chipset that differentiate one clone
> motherboard from another as far as memory access is concern.

It seems that you sent this to me only, and not back to the list, so
I have cc'ed it back onto the list.

I am in agreement here and feel the minimun information that should be
given when talking about a motherboard is the the manufacture, model,
chip set used, and bus types (IE, ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 Intel Triton chip set,
PCI/ISA).

The BIOS mfg can be relavent when discusion problems, as one bios may
allow setup changes that others do not.

As a person who deals in hardware that allows me to clearly identify
the board mentally in my mind.   I often find myself asking for this
information as the first thing I do when I see these types of postings,
so can we all save that time and try to be more complete when posting
this type of information.