Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:25:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        root@zappa.demon.nl (Ron Klinkien)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec SCSI messages

Ron Klinkien wrote...

> I have my FreeBSD system running for a few weeks now,
> but during bootup there is a long timeout and a message
> displayed from the adaptec scsi adapter when
> there is a probe on my scsi disc.
>
> Any scsi wizards know what this mean, and what to do?

You would be better off sending SCSI questions like this to the SCSI list.
(freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG)

> Snippits from dmesg:
> ---
> ahc0: <Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 10 on pci0.6.0
> ahc0: aic7890/91 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
> ---
> Waiting 4 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> (probe6:ahc0:0:6:0): SCB 0x6 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0xf4
> SEQADDR == 0x15b
> SSTAT1 == 0x2
> (probe6:ahc0:0:6:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
> (probe6:ahc0:0:6:0): SCB 0x6 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0xf4
> SEQADDR == 0x15b
> SSTAT1 == 0x2
> (probe6:ahc0:0:6:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
> ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 8 SCBs aborted

Okay, what this means is that your drive went "out to lunch" and didn't
come back.  We had to whap it over the head to wake it up.

This could be a firmware issue, but I'm not entirely sure.

> changing root device to da0s1a
> da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> da0: <QUANTUM VIKING II 4.5WLS 3506> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
> da0: 40.0MB/s transfers (20.0MHz, offset 31, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 4350MB (8910423 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 554C)

Do you have this disk plugged into the Ultra2 port on the motherboard?  If
it is an Ultra 2 device, it should probbe at 40MHz.  (assuming you don't
have any non-Ultra2 peripherals on the Ultra 2 port)

> cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
> cd0: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-32TS 1.03> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device
> cd0: 20.0MB/s transfers (20.0MHz, offset 15)
> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> (da0:ahc0:0:6:0): tagged openings now 63
> ---
> zappa# uname -a
> FreeBSD zappa.demon.nl 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #6: Thu Nov 12 21:04:50
>  CET 1998     root@zappa.demon.nl:/usr/src/sys/compile/UMRK5  i386
> ---
> The cdrom device msg comes after 10 seconds during the rest of the bootup.

That is normal.  CDROM drives are often slower than other peripherals to
respond.

> What does the tagged openings msg mean? I get them only if the
> scsi devices are getting more work to do.

It means that your disk has space to hold that many transactions at a time.
It's informational, and tells you when you have good hardware, and when you
have sucky hardware. :)

> It doens't seem to matter how long the scsi timeout is set in the kernel.
> The Quantum disk is an UltraWide2 type, and so is the onboard scsi controller
> (Asus P2BS mainboard.)
>
> Can I alter scsi driver or kernel parameters to get rid of this timeout delay?  > Maybe it has something to do with the hd firmware like with some other Quantum disks.

It may well be a firmware bug.  I don't think tuning any kernel parameters
will fix it.

Here's a quick checklist of things to look at, just to make sure you've
done everything on your end to make things work:

 - make sure your SCSI bus is terminated on both ends.  You should probably
   not use the 'automatic' termination option in the bios.  (i.e., use
   "high on/low on", "high on/low off" or "high off/low off", depending on
   your bus topology)

 - make sure you don't have any crimps in your SCSI cable

 - make sure your cable doesn't go near the power supply

I'll run this by Justin tomorrow, he may have some more ideas on this one.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com