Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:26:24 +0000 ()
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIGTERMs killing X

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I can't for the life of me determine why it would have got an ABORT
> > signal....  Where would that be coming from?  The machine is just sitting
> > there idle (AFAIK, anyway... :)) and when I get home from work, for
> > example, it's no longer running X.
>
> It is because FreeBSD is overcommiting memory in it's VM system.
>
> I am sorry for you that you got this error...
>
> I am glad you got this error, because you are a real-world example
> of a need for a tunable which I have been lobbying for for four years.
> Now I have a sample case, and I am happy because I can flagellate
> the powers that be every time the topic comes up in the future.  8-).

:)

> What it means is that your VM space for your process has been
> destroyed (you can see this by looking in /sys/kern/kern_exec.c).
> To rememdy this, you should increas the amount of swap space you have.

Ok, sounds reasonable.  The only question is, how on earth does it need
that much swap space?  I currently have 32 megs of RAM, and single 64 meg
swap allocated.  The only things that were running on the machine when the
thing died were XF86_SVGA, Fvwm, Xearth on the root window, and probably a
screensaver from the xscreensaver collection.

How could that eat up that much VM?  Is that actually possible, or is
there something else at work here?  What is the best guess, add a whack
more swap and see if it persists?  Turn off xscreensaver?  (It is set to
randomly select one every once in a while... maybe one of them is acting
up and when it gets called, it kills the system.)  What do I know?  :)

Later......						<Doug>