Date:      Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:28:23 -0500
From:      Alan Polinsky <polinsky@nyct.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with upgrading 5.4 stable to 6.0 stable

I have been having repeated difficulties in upgrading from 5.4 to 6.0.
My problems start in the make buildworld step. The last successful
compile step is:
/usr/obj/usr/src/sbin/ipf/libipf created for ./usr/src/sbin/ipf/libipf

>From that point I get a series of cascading errors. I tried ignoring
them, but could not successfully build the kernel. I have looked through
documentation at your site, but could not find a resolulution.

This is my only exposure to freebsd. I have several linux boxes at home
that I use with no problems. At work I am a unix (Solaris 8) and
application programmer under windows.

These are the cascading errors:

===> sbin/ipf/ipf(obj) mkdir; /usr/obj/usr/src/sbin/ipf/ipf: file exists
*** Error code 1
stop in /usr/src/sbin/ipf/ipf.
*** Error code 1
stop in /usr/src/sbin/ipf
*** Error code 1
stop in /usr/src/sbin
*** Error code 1
stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1
stop in /usr/src

I purchased my orginal Freebsd 5.3 disks from freebsdmall. I then
successfully upgraded to 5.4 with no problems. I have been choosing
cvsup4 as my source of the upgrades. Perhaps you can help.

Thank you very much

Alan Polinsky