Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:49:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cdrom / installing ports

I have my atapi cdrom defined in my kernal with 'device atapicd'
and it is mounted in fstab as '/dev/acd0a /cdrom ufs 0 0'
which works correctly, or so it appears, and I verify this by changing
to the /cdrom directory and am able to view files contained on the cdrom
but cannot install ports from it for some reason.  In 'The Complete
FreeBSD' it says my cdrom must be mounted to /cdrom, which it is, and that
one port that I can build that licensing permits it to be on the cdrom
is xchat.  I tried installing this from the cd by changing to
/usr/ports/irc/xchat and when I try the 'make' command, it tells me it
doesnt seem to exist on the system, as is shown in the book's example, but
then it only attempts to retrieve and build it via ftp, but this does not
work since I don't have any way of connecting it to the internet.  How do
I make my computer look on the cdrom first, and is there a way to tell
which ports are only ftp retrievable?
Thank you
Wyatt Banks
banksw@sunyit.edu