Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:31:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        chad@dcfinc.com, dg@root.com, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

> In message <199710022319.QAA29319@freebie.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes:
> : There should be some easy way (perhaps through "uname") to know where
> : along the STABLE continuum a particular system resides.
>
> uname -r should do this:
>      -r      Write the current release level of the operating system to stan-
>              dard output.

Wow.  I got a comment before the list server even got my original back to
me.  On the ball, Warner.

> That's why I'm arguing for going to 2.2.5-STABLE after the release
> process happens.  The docs don't say the current branch of the
> operating system, but rather say the current release level.  For
> branches with releases on them, that implies to me what I'm arguing
> for.

But that still doesn't solve the problem we were discussing above.  That
is, how can you determine where along a continuum your machine resides.

In other words, say I get my new, hot 2.2.5-RELEASE CD-ROMs from Walnut
Creek via my subscription.  I build a brand new box and load it from the
CD.  Then I CVSup against 2.2-STABLE to pick up any last minute bug
fixes.  What should the release identifier be now?  Whatever it is, it
should be different than before the CVSup.  And it should be something
that can be easily determined from within a script, for autoconfigures
and the like.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com