Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 01:32:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com (William Woods)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall question....

I don't know about /var/log/messages, but it could log to the console
(/dev/console).  This is done on a per-rule basis.  For example, if you
have a rule such as:
	ipfw add 1 deny udp from any to any
replace it with
	iprw add 1 deny log udp from any to any

Since thousands of packets pass throught your system (maybe), it will build
it quickly.  You need to add the following line to your kernel config
file:
	IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=nnn
(replacing nnn with a maximum number of logs before it stops), and rebuild
your kernel.

Hope this helps :-)

> OK, got my firewall up and doing what I want, question though, I would
> like to SEE what is blocked and where it is comming from. I have a tail
> -f /var/log/messages running in a consol at all times, so is there
> anyway to get the firewaill to log all denys on /var/log/messages/?
>
> --
> William - wwoods@cybcon.com

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.