Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 06:05:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        searle@longacre.demon.co.uk
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Policy on bzip2?

 * It is several times slower for decompression as well, and requires a lot more
 * memory than gunzip (even in low memory, low speed mode). On a fast machine
 * bunzip2 decompresses at about 500K/s (or 250K/s in low memory mode) while gunzip
 * gets 3500K/s, so while it would speed up most net installs it would slow down a
 * CD install.

Well, we're talking about port distfiles (not packages) here, so I
don't think it is that much of a problem.  For instance, xemacs-20.4
takes 13 seconds to decompress with gunzip on my P6-200.  It should
take about 2 minutes with bzip2.  Considering that it takes half an
hour (or so) to compile it anyway, it's probably OK for it to take an
extra minute or two to decompress.

Satoshi