Date:      Sun, 9 May 2004 01:11:54 -0400
From:      mailist@whoweb.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems resolving sites in browsers under KDE

I had a similar, but different problem with 4.7 which impacted all network
traffic but was most noticible using Konqueror.  I was getting similar pauses
regardless of the application I ran.  Unless you are running BIND and
attempting to get at zones that you adminster, I don't think this is a DNS
issue.

In my case, the problem was a high rate of collision and dropped packets
between the NIC and the switch it was connected to.  I changed the "media"
information for my network card from 100TX to 10baseT using ifconfig() and
that seems to have fixed the problem.  You might try this just for the heck
of it to see if it helps your situation.