Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:10:50 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        <scanner@jurai.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postfix && Maildir

scanner@jurai.net types:
> > >And understand the negatives of using the Maildir format?
> > No. Could you please point me to some documentation on that?
> Maildir. Basically what it boils down to is if you have very little mail
> Maildir is just as good as mail box format. But the more mail you have the
> suckier Maildir performs. It's *alot* easier to deal with one large file
> then a directory with tons of smaller files. Especially for searching. So
> basically if you never go above a handfull of mail it won't matter to
> much. But the more you throw at Maildir the worse it gets.

My experience is just the opposite.  Once you start having lots of
mail - more than a few megabytes - to deal with, maildir is much easer
to deal with than one large file. Trying to manipulate single messages
in files with a few thousand messages in them is a major pain; doing
anything but appending a message to the end of the mailbox means
copying large chunks - if not all - of the mailbox. All operations -
moving, deleting, and appending - are about the same speed on a
maildir. That speed depends on the speed of the underlying directory
system, I'm it's generally better than the time taken to copy all the
data in the directory.

You are also forced to use special tools to search such an mbox
formatted file, as the standard unix tools - or even specialized ones,
like WAIS - can't really do much more than pin things down to a single
file. That's obviously pretty pointless if you've only got one
file. On the other hand, it's pretty trivial to use standard Unix
tools to locate all the messages in a maildir that match patterns like
"have 'foo' in the From line and 'bar' in the subject line."

If you have real references about problems - as opposed to "look at
the site of an organization with a bias against the format" - I'd be
interested in hearing about them.

	<mike