Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 09:32:13 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, Tim Wolfe <tim@clipper.net>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Load balancing

I may be out of context on this thread, but you could easily controll traffic
OUT with load-balanced serial lines on a freebsd box...IN is another banana.

INET#1  INET#2
  .           .
   .         .
    .       .
    Router
       .
       .
   Your net

DB

At 12:36 AM 10/9/98 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Tim Wolfe wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that I'm not even a self proclaimed expert here.  This is my
>> admittedly limited understanding of the layer2/layer3 switching issue.
>
>> Layer3 Switching Hub:
>>
>> Listens to things at a protocol level, basing it's switching decisions on
>> the (in this case) IP address rather than the MAC address.  This gives an
>> administrator the ability to setup routing (or forced switching of traffic
>> to specific destinations via specific ports) for traffic that might be
>> multiple hops away based on things other than just next hop.
>>
>> This would be useful for load balancing links to servers (just to show a
>> single practicle application)
>
>That sounds OK as far as I know, though my OSI is a little rusty... I went
>on a Cisco course some time ago - they were proudly proclaiming the
>benefits of layer3 switching, to form a device they were apparently going
>to call a 'swrouter' (switching-router)...
>
>This got even more complex when the concept of a switching / routing
>bridge (swbruter? ;-) came up...
>
>I know a lot of the high end cisco gear will let you 'route' your switched
>traffic (i.e. layer3 routine/switching etc.) - but I'm not too sure about
>the load balancing...
>
>I know that even the lower end Cisco routers now come with something
>called 'Net manager' is it? - which is meant to accept all incoming
>connections and forward them onto the real server (under the guise of
>protecting from DoS attacks (i.e. it bins partial connects that timeout
>the initial 3way handshake), and providing 'apparent' 100% availability)..
>
>It's the last bit I'm trying to do in software on FBSD at the moment... :)
>
>Regards,
>
>Karl

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

Emerging Technologies, Inc.

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI Sync Cards for FreeBSD,
LINUX and BSD/OS