Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:30:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is ant good for?

I am another rabid emacs user.

and we use ant at work too.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Jeff Dalton wrote:

> I've been reading the "tools" discussion, and all I use is emacs,
> jdk, and Netscape for reading the on-line documentation.  The only
> change I'm tempted to make is to start using ant.
>
> But every time I've looked at anyone's ant script (is script
> the right word?), it's seemed alarmingly complex.

'tisnt script! it's xml. xml is *cool*. use psgml and font-lock in emacs
and the build.xml file will start to make much more sense, assuming it
references a dtd somehow, i forget if they do.

> So I'm wondering whether ant does anything that would make it
> worth the effort of learning to use it.
>
> Does it, for instance, work out the dependencies between files
> to determine what needs to be recompiled and what doesn't?

does all of that and more....

we used to replace a python/make combo that required frequent changes to
keep up.

build.xml's are pretty simple once you understand xml

> -- Jeff

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life